Wednesday, January 21, 2009

~The Bible, Johnny Cash & Fishnets~

So what swims in my mind this evening is this....
Are fishnets a sin? I totally have a thing for fishnets, and whilst I understand that FISHNETS aren't, the question I'm truly pondering is how much of my personality will I be giving up?
As I'm venturing into getting myself right, I wonder what about me will change. I guess we shall see. Is it okay to still love Janis Joplin, even though she died of a drug overdose, or will I be seen as a hypocrit? I'm a very laid-back person, and I see good in most all things. I'm not exactly the person you'd see sitting next to you in Sunday School, and Johnny Cash's Sunday Morning Coming Down does just as much for my soul as Amazing Grace.
But maybe that's part of God's calling. Maybe my oddities are part of the tools God has instilled in me.
I wonder if He wants a witness that is different from all others, one who doesn't mind admitting that there's dirty laundry in the washer when she goes to bed at night and dishes in the sink when she wakes up in the morning.
I haven't read too many devotionals where the writer willingly admits that she had smoked more pot than Cheech or cursed more than a frustrated sailor. I believe, though, that's the whole point of the Prodigal Son. The one who had once ventured into the world is many times more blessed than the ones who never ventured there. Of course, it's a great thing never to stray from God, but those of us who have gain wisdom, understanding and respect for our Father's power for having been there and being brought back. Our robes may be ripped and stained, but we are certain the greatest place really is in the shadow of the Father. Blessings taste so much sweeter after you've tasted the bile of the rest of the world.
Perhaps a witness that listens to Tom Petty can reach someone that a Amy Grant fan could never get through a conversation with.
I'm not going to worry about whether it's right or wrong, the Holy Spirit is telling me that He'll take care of all that in due time.
But I still have to wonder...can I wear fishnets to church?

No comments:

Post a Comment