Wednesday, January 21, 2009

~My first ride in the Mustang~

~Parental and Prude Discretion Advised~

Since I don't know WHO all knows, I might as well finish the 'job' and tell ya'll too in the process of letting my track buddies on here and anyone that owns a CB radio in Drew County who may have heard it know that I was NOT doing THAT two weeks ago...
I rode with Lawson in a Mustang when he raced a couple of Saturdays ago, and we finished third btw (he got second the week before...YAY!). It's a four cylinder class, and safety harnesses aren't required yet because you are not going any faster than you would be on Hwy. 425 during rush hour. Lawson is putting racing seats in, but most people in that class don't have them. In the last minutes before the race, I jacked Shane Endsley's firesuit and helmet and hopped in with Lawson.
Waiting for the other class to finish their race, Lawson ran through quick instructions about how to brace myself if we hit the wall, or someone else, and showed me where to put my hands so they wouldn't be crushed between the roll cage and car body. He told me to brace myself, lean in, and put my right hand on the roll cage in front of the glove box area while I grip the waist of my seatbelt with my left hand. When we finally pulled onto the track after a lengthy wait, I had forgotten most of what he told me because I had realized that at those moments I had to go to the bathroom worse than I ever had to in my whole life, even worse than at Riverfront Park during whatever Days they have up there...what's it called?...anyways, the huge annual thing and I had to go soooo bad because I had drank about 40 of those huge cups of Dr. Pepper. That was the longest stretch of portapotties I believe I ever saw...it looked like a milelong train of pooh, and I gagged all the way to the end. I have a mental block against those things and would rather risk a bee sting on my bum in the woods somewhere.
I saw the cars on the track slow down and exit....I yelled to Lawson through the helmet and said 'OMGosh I hafta pee.' 'It's gonna be awhile,' he yelled back, slid his helmet visor down, and pulled onto the track.
My first time of being in a racecar after being at the dirt track with a slew of racers nearly every weekend, and I made a total fool of myself. I didn't urinate, and I didn't do what they thought I did, either....
When we went green and headed into Turn 1, I thought about my fat tail snapping the old seatbelt and flying straight out the window....assuming I would be able to fit through. I remember he said 'Lean', so I LEANED, ya'll.
I had soooo much fun! I loved it! I've been riding with Lawson's lead foot for years and wasn't scared at all, aside from the concern of the seatbelt snapping. In the straightaways I'd lean up and in the turns, lean back over towards Lawson. I do remember ducking a few times when cars were side by side with us, so I wonder if that is what everyone was talking about...
After the race, my bestie came up and said 'Do you have any idea what you looked like with that big ol' helmet leaned over in his lap? hahahaha' I didn't think much about it.
Then Lawson came back from his sponsor's trailer and said 'in a roundabout way, Jimmy asked what you were doing....' I found it odd that two separate groups of people had their minds in the gutter, but thought they were just picking at me.
This morning, I went to Monticello and ran into one of my cousins who works at the track. He informs me that the radio chatter concerned not cautions or black flags, but who the chick in the blue Mustang was. There is NO WAY my head was that far down! 'Are you kidding me???' I asked, but I knew he wasn't due to my prior conversations. No, he said. He said they had a bet going. I'm so shamed. At least I'm not a pit hopper and I've been married to my hubby for 12 years, but I'm still mortified.

No comments:

Post a Comment