Wednesday, January 21, 2009

~Grease is the Word....Chucks is the other one~


I have discovered the roots to my Converse passion, and it's never even occurred to me until tonight. 'Grease is the word...'

Those who find themselves fortunate enough to gaze upon my beauty in photo albums since childhood (hahaha) will discover there are random spells of Chuck Taylor Converses scattered throughout. In some periods of my life, you may find them nearly as often as you see freckles. The day my sister was married (I was 16, I think), there are in existence pictures of the toes of my Chucks are poking out from underneath my pink satin bridesmaid gown....during the reception, of course. They made me wear crappy shoes for the actual ceremony.
My daughter shares the same love for the movie (the edited version!) that I have always held. Perhaps to blame is the months during my pregnancy of being stuck on bedrest, which would find me bored and sick of talking on the phone and daytime television. I often found myself reading those gigantic 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' volumes and watching old movies (I actually mean 'nonrecent releases.' What may be considered 'old' defines such favorites as Gone with the Wind, but could be as recent as Friday and Sixteen Candles).
We were giggling and singing every word of Sandy and Danny's high school days as the 25th anniversary DVD lasered away tonight when she suddenly looked down at her tiny black Chucks (a nickname affectionally derived generations ago after the basketball player Chuck Taylor, who sent the shoe brand's popularity worldwide with his marketing ideas generations ago), and then looked at me with her big blue eyes and said, 'Mommy! Look at all the Chucks in this movie!'
That's when I realized why I had always been partial to Chucks. Grease was my absolute favorite movie of all time for at least a decade of my younger life, and I'm a diehard Grease enthusiast (along with Blues Brothers, Forrest Gump and countless other movies, books and songs). Watch the movie closely, and I think you'll agree there's more than enough evidence here, especially if you're one of the lucky souls to have had the privilege of knowing me personally. Grease was definitely where this whole 'Converse' shoe thing with me started. They aren't shallow attempts at showcasing emo, sporty, trendy or fashionable aspects of my personality. They are just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment