Wednesday, January 21, 2009

~Well I woke up Sunday Mornin'...-Johnny Cash~

"Becca is great! So smart!" I know.
Wise beyond her eight years, Becca has been going to church on Sunday nights with our neighbor's daughter, her bestie. I met the preacher tonight. He's a sensible, intelligent and nice person, and I had really good vibes from him. I'm actually interested in visiting the church (For ya'll who don't know me, I'm the daughter of a die-hard Southern Baptist deacon, one of the most spiritual people I've ever met, but my dad and I vary on several religious, and well, churchy, views. I'm member of the First Baptist Church but I don't regularly attend.).
The preacher told me some great things about my daughter's spiritual development and personality when her mother isn't looming above her. After I had been griping and grouchy all day, God sent me a preacher, a complete stranger, who told me answers to prayers I've prayed my entire life. Since I was smaller than Becca, I've been praying for the salvation of my children, husband, even grandbabies. I was told to in Sunday School one time and it stuck, I guess.
I know I'm nowhere near where I should be as a role model to Becca, but the things that preacher stood out there and told me was everything my heart needed to know. I'm going to work harder than ever to show that child how to walk in Christ. From what the preacher said, she already knows alot. God has something great in store for her.
Now the funny part...
The pastor was telling me how Becca is sociable and can talk to an 80-year-old as well as she can a two-year-old. He said the first week of Awanas, she raised her hand (this was the first time ever to that church and I couldn't believe it) and said she had a 'testimony.' I do not ever remember even discussing 'testimonies' with her. He said my baby stood right up and told about giving her life to Jesus, and he'd never seen anything like it. He said that he was amazed by this little girl and went over to talk with her, asking her name, age, just small talk. He said she looked right at him and said 'Do you read EasyRider?'
I nearly fainted. I was so embarassed. "No, she didn't," is all I could muster, but I knew she had because my sister writes for EasyRider and Becca adores Amy. He laughed and said yeah, and and that Becca had told him my sister is a writer for magazines, and had wrote about Elvis' bikes. I stuttered that she isn't allowed to SEE EasyRider and she knows it's because there's skanky girls in it, and that my sister is also published in PG stuff and Becca gets THOSE copies. He was laughing so hard. I said 'What did you tell her?' He said 'I told her, yeah, I'd seen it.'
He also said last week they were talking about her being in the First Baptist choir and he asked her what music she likes and she said 'Elvis and Johnny Cash.' I love my mini-me.

No comments:

Post a Comment